If you have been in a car crash you may have experienced injury to your back and/or neck. Common symptoms include joint pain, muscle pain, headaches, arm pain and leg pain. These symptoms occur when the vertebral joints and associated muscles and nerves are subjected to uncommon forces and movements associated with a car crash. It is important that you have an examination by your family chiropractor as soon as possible to support the recovery process.
- Some people develop pain, stiffness and other symptoms 7-10 after an accident. This is not unusual; however, do not delay in seeking treatment from your chiropractic doctor. Studies suggest that the earlier treatments are done the better the outcomes. Do not wait until symptoms become chronic as rest, in most cases, is not enough to completely alleviate the symptoms.
- Severe symptoms such as headache, dizziness, nausea, insomnia memory loss, and arm/leg pain are also common.
- For most people, the pain and other symptoms associated with spinal injury usually decreases with gradual return to normal activity.
- Most injuries are not serious and people often recover to their pre-accident condition. The amount of disruption to normal activities varies with the circumstances of the crash.
- It is important to be aware that the effects of substantive crashes may recur over 6-18 months. Symptoms and effects will lessen gradually.